WEEK OF PRAYER FOR CHRISTIAN UNITY
JANUARY 18–25, 2021
Selection of the Theme:
The theme and text for each year’s observance of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity are chosen and prepared by representatives of the World Council of Churches and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. The preparatory work on the theme for this year’s Week was done by the monastic Community of Grandchamp in Areuse, Neuchatel, Switzerland, which worked on the theme for several months before meeting with the representatives of the WCC and PCPCU from September 15-18, 2019. Four of the sisters of Grandchamp participated in the final meetings. The meetings were chaired jointly by the director of the World Council of Churches Faith and Order Commission, the Reverend Odair Pedroso Mateus and the Reverend Anthony Currer from the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.
The theme chosen by the local writing group from Grandchamp was “Abide in my love… you shall bear much fruit.” (cf. John 15:5-9). The entire Biblical text is John 15:1-17. This allowed the sisters to share the experience and wisdom of their contemplative life abiding in the love of God, and to speak about the fruit of this prayer: closer communion with one’s brothers and sisters in Christ and greater solidarity with the whole of creation. The sisters participating in the September 2019 meetings with the WCC and PCPU team were:
- Sister Anne-Emmanuelle Guy
- Sister Gesine Rohrbach
- Sister Embla Vegerfors
- Sister Svenja Wichman
Meeting as well at Grandchamp were the representatives of the World Council of Churches and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity:
- The Reverend Odair Pedroso Mateus (Co-Chair), Director of the Faith and Order Commission of the World Council of Churches
- The Reverend Anthony Currer (Co-Chair), Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity
- Ms. Anne-Noëlle Clément, Unité Chrétienne
- The Reverend Peter Colwell, Deputy General Secretary of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland
- Dr. Ani Ghazaryan Drissi, Program Executive of the Faith and Order Secretariat at the WCC
- Ms. Virag Kinga Mezei, Intern at the WCC
- Dr. Hanne Lamparter, German Lutheran Church
- Sister Leticia Candelario Lopez, Verbum Dei Missionary Fraternity (Singapore)
- The Reverend James Puglisi, Friar of the Atonement, Centro Pro Unione
- The Reverend Dr. Mikie Roberts, Program Executive for Spiritual Life at the WCC
- Dr. Clare Watkins, University of Roehampton
- Secretarial support was provided by Mr. Alexander Freeman of the WCC.
Graymoor Ecumenical & Interreligious Institute, in its planning of these resource materials also invites ecumenists and church leaders of various religious traditions to contribute resource materials for celebrating the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. Acknowledgment of these authors appears with their texts.
In addition, acknowledgment is due to those who contributed in particular to various segments of these resources.
Translation to Spanish:
Leticia Molinero Translation Studio (www.lmts.us) New York, NY.
International Preparatory group text, edited by Fr. James Loughran, SA, Director, Graymoor
Editor and Recruitment of “Commentary on the Scriptural Theme” and “Sermon for Martin Luther King Day”:
Dr. Aaron Hollander, Associate Director, Graymoor Ecumenical & Interreligious Institute, New York, NY
Secretary for Week of Prayer for Christian Unity Materials:
Ms. Mary Isbell, Graymoor, Garrison, NY
Graphic work for the poster:
David Wright, Fuzati
Eric Carlson, Fuzati
Graphic layout design and arranging for printing:
Lisa Scheffer, Scheffer Design Studio, (schefferdesignstudio.com)
Wappingers Falls, NY, took the graphic materials and edited texts to professional layout and design and provided materials for the translator, printer and webmaster.
David Wright, Fuzati
Omar Ebaid, Fuzati
Benchemark Printing , (benechemark.net) Schenectady, NY.
The translation of the biblical text in English used in the Ecumenical Celebration of the Word and Daily Prayer guide are from The New Revised Standard Version of the Bible, Anglicized Edition, copyright © 1989, 1995, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America, and are used by permission. All rights reserved. For those text in Spanish the biblical translation are from Reina Valera Contemporanea ® © Sociedades Bíblicas Unidas, 2009, 2011 and the Nueva Versión Internacional (NVI), ® © Zondervan 1999, 2011. All rights reserved.